Where does a Landlord start?
We believe that every aspect of the letting process is important and must be handled with care, giving close careful consideration to the overall picture at every stage.
Your property is your investment, and it makes sense to get it right from the very beginning.
The majority of our tenancies are for a minimum of 6 months using an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement (Housing Act 1988) if you are not able to commit to this length of time, please refer to our holiday letting page which may be more suitable for your needs or contact us to discuss further.
The letting process will start with a visit from one of our negotiators who will take photographs and full details of the property and discuss any possible restrictions you may wish to make on children and pets
Advise you on;
Talk to our friendly team.
If you do not have a “Buy to Let” mortgage you must advise your mortgage lender and check that there is no objection or insurance restriction on letting.
- You must advise your buildings and contents insurer of your intentions. Many insurers do not cover let properties but we can arrange specialist policies to give you the protection you need.
- Refurbishments and safety checks must be made and you should be aware of the legislation that affects let property regarding furnishings, gas, electricity and smoke detectors.
- You are responsible for providing sufficient keys, installing smoke alarms, notifying your local council (for Council Tax), gas, electricity, oil suppliers and post office etc. of the changes.
- You are responsible for the general maintenance of the property and contents – the structure and condition of the property, decoration, installations and appliances.
- If there is a garden, you must provide tools and the tenant is obliged to use them! In a larger property with a special garden it is best to employ a gardener to ensure the best care of precious plants etc. The cost can be built in to the rent.
Where repairs are necessary the tenant will call Purbeck Lettings if we manage the property or, if you have chosen our Let Only or Let and rent collection options, they will call you.
When everything is ready we will market your property:
- in the press – paid for and free local publications
- on the Internet
- in local awareness campaigns
We will then:
- obtain references or credit check reference on prospective Tenants
- request a Guarantor if necessary and check their details
- accompany applicants to view your property
The tenant has the right to live in the property so reasonable wear and tear must be taken into account. However, the tenant is also responsible for:
- paying the rent
- taking care of the property and keeping it clean
- insuring their own possessions
Specialist Local Lettings Agent
Covering just the Isle of Purbeck and the immediate surrounding areas, Purbeck Lettings focuses on providing high quality professional service to each and every landlord.
Over 25 Years of Experience
Purbeck Lettings has been established for over 12 years and has built a reputation for a very high standard of professional services. Kate Anson, founder of Purbeck Lettings, has worked in the residential lettings market for over 25 years. As an Agency we always look to go the extra mile, it may sound corny but we do!
Free No Obligation Valuation
Provide a free no obligation valuation on your property and offer advice on any improvements or modifications that may help to achieve the best rental and secure the right Tenant.
Get in Touch
At Purbeck Lettings we cover the whole of the Isle of Purbeck, and as an independent lettings agent we can offer a personal service which means your property will be looked after for the duration of the tenancy by the same person which is essential in the continuity of the letting and maintenance of your home.